Parenting Young Service Development Manual – developed and published by MOCS for service provider. Click here to purchase a copy.
Young Parents Grow Great Kids 2010 – This beautiful, small book contains a number of stories from young parents about birth and parenthood as well as useful information and contact details for local services. Please contact Tanya for a copy.
Health and Wellbeing
- Blue Mountains Women’s Health and Resource Center offer a free drop-in young women’s clinic (for young women 25 years and under) Thursday afternoons from 3.30pm – 5.30pm (only during school term). Young women can also access free counselling and participate in the drop-in Artspace. Ph: 4782 6133
- The Beyond Blue website has information about Postnatal depression, anxiety and other mental health issues.
- Quit Smoking Community provides a lot of information on smoking and its effects.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, you can ring the Domestic Violence Line for help on 1800 656 463 (TTY 1800 671 442).
In NSW abortion services are safe and legal and you do not need a doctor’s referral to get an abortion. We have included information about a number of Sydney-based abortion clinics. Call Blue Mountains Women’s Health and Resource Centre (4782 6133) if you require more information or support.
- Marie Stopes Clinic: 1800 003 707
Provides abortions up to 20 weeks. For early abortions they provide surgical and medical methods (RU486 ‘the abortion pill’). They provide telephone counselling on request. Counselling is non-judgmental and aims to assist the woman with decision-making. Call the free-call number to find out about costs, appointments and options. They also provide contraception, STI (sexually transmitted infections) screening, vasectomies, follow-up care and pap testing. They have clinics in a number of locations including Kingswood, Westmead and Homebush.
- Preterm Foundation (02) 9217 8700
Perform abortions up to 15 weeks. Located in Surry Hills.
- Gynaecare (02) 9413 2538
Performs termination of pregnancy up to 12 weeks. Also provides unplanned pregnancy counselling, contraception, pap and breast checks, vasectomy, other sexual health checks and procedures. Located in Artarmon. Open Saturdays. No referral necessary but you must call for an appointment.
- Contraceptive Services (02) 9221 1933
Can do abortions up to 20 weeks. Located in Sydney.
- Macquarie Fields Women’s Clinic (02) 9605 2247
- Tresillian Family Care Centres (02) 4734 2124
This service located in Kingswood provides day stay and residential programs for parents of babies aged up to 36 months. You need a referral from either your local Doctor or your child and family health nurse. Parents pay a small fee to cover cost of accommodation and meals
- 24 Hour Parents Help Line Free call 1800 637 357 or if in Sydney (02) 9787 9787
Speak to a child and family-trained nurse about any aspect of parenting. This service is part of the Tresillian Family Care program.
- The Breastfeeding Association website has lots of useful information about breastfeeding your baby. You can also call their 24 hour Breastfeeding Hotline on 1800 686 268 for around the clock support.
- Elizabeth Evatt Community Legal Centre (02) 4782 4155 or 1300 363 967
Services the Blue Mountains, Oberon, Lithgow and Bathurst regions providing free legal and advocacy assistance. EECLC also has a Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service (WDVCAS) that assists women and children experiencing domestic violence and a tenancy service, Blue Mountains Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service (BMTAAS), which provides advice to tenants in the Blue Mountains. 4 Station Street, Katoomba NSW 2780
- LawAccess NSW 1300 888 529
Provides legal information and referral and provides legal advice in some cases. Legal information factsheets available from their website.
Hours: 9am – 5pm Mon – Friday (excluding public holidays),
- Financial Rights Legal Centre 1800 007 007
Advice on credit and debt. Financial Counselling information, advice and referral service available to individual consumers in NSW on credit, debt and banking issues.
- ‘Early Words’ is a Youtube channel with great ideas and links to early learning resources to explore – a great video resource for understanding and ideas on early learning from birth to 5 years. Click here to check it out.